Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Tenwek Letter 5

Tenwek Letter 5
2 December 2008

Jambo!

I cannot remember if in the last letter I included the Christmas Kick-off Party at the Fitzwater's or not, so I'll discuss it here. It was a two hour gathering at the Fitzwater's (Chupp's) home. Everyone seemed to enjoy the down time and time to visit with one another. Of course, the kids were out in the "field" playing games. It was a great way to get ready for the Christmas season.

Well, since I've last written, Bryan was able to get away from the hospital! Monday morning, he walked to a neighboring town, Mugongu to visit our friends Wesley and Charity Koech and their three children. Since we were last at the Koech's, they now have a car, a water tank, five cows, and are building another addition to their home. Wesley and his family are doing quite well. Bryan said they shared chai and lunch--chicken (from the hen Bryan bought for their youngest son last time we visited), rice, oranges, and a plethora of other fixings. Bryan said the walk took him about one hour and fifteen minutes (one way). He arrived back around 12:30pm. He had a great time.

Yesterday, Lydia, Hannah's granddaughter, now three I believe, came to have her picture made for Aunt Kim, Uncle Mark, Beth and Jonathan Freije. It was wonderful to see her again! Also, I had been counting down until I could see Mercy Cherop again, Emily's adopted daughter. She and Emily wanted their pictures made for the Freijes also. So we all went to Aunt Kim's house and took pictures with the house in the background. The girls were excited. Mercy is so much taller, still thin, but has the same sweet, quiet spirit about her. The biggest change with Mercy is that her hair has been cut, so no cute braids anymore. She still laughs and laughs---but not as much for me as I know she would with Jonathan.:) (Hannah and Emily worked for the Freije's; I got to know them quite well.)

Last night we were invited, along with the Fitzwaters, to Carol Spears' home for dinner. She had her house all decorated for Christmas: lights strung outside, a wreath on the door, her tree up, red bows everywhere, lights outside (back yard), and all different types of nativity scenes. How festive! We loved sharing a meal of soup, cheese bread, and pineapple in her dining room. For dessert, we headed outside under her thatched roof area for brownies and ice cream. We had a great time of fellowship and fun.

Update on Dr. Wesche: All I've heard is that he was at morning report yesterday. He had three cuts. Hopefully, Bryan will have more to share tonight.

Tonight, we are having Dr. Caleb Mina over for dinner. The menu is spaghetti, green beans with cashews, homemade bread sticks, and ice cream. I'm looking forward to catching up with him.

Update on Wil: He spiked a fever last night. This morning, it's only up to 99.3. If it spikes again, we're going to call Agneta and have her examine Mr. Wil. Today or tomorrow will be one week of temps. No fun. We seriously don't think it's malaria--we're taking larium and I haven't seen any bites on him, plus this is going around the compound. He played with Mercy this morning and laughed and laughed! He's now down for a nap. Thank you for your prayers. (Bryan and I are feeling almost all better. My voice sounds horrible, but sawa sawa.)

Tomorrow, Bryan has arranged with Jenny Roberts to head to an orphanage. We had money donated from our church's Upward Basketball league to buy soccer balls for them. Also, we have many misprinted t-shirts for them. I hope Wil is better so the two of us can go. It's not worth exposing Wil to all of the children. I know he would love to play with them!

I was reminded of the Christmas Fair in Nairobi this weekend at the race track! YEAH!!!! I love going to see what all is there. Last time I went, I purchased a few things. It's not on my "HAVE TO DO" list, but if we have time on Saturday, I'd love to walk through.

**REMINDER** If you would like to help the Manchesters, email me asap!

We hope you all are doing well and staying warm. Last night, as I was reading in bed, I noticed that our clock said it was 72 degrees. How nice!:) We'll write more later.

Love,
Jane, Bryan, and Wil

No comments: